Genre Search

General discussions
Malte

Genre Search

Post by Malte »

Hey anonbeat and everyone :)

First: I love Guayadeque, thanks for your great work.

But however I miss one little thing: a genre search! When I'm in the music collection tab, I have one little window with the genre (besides artist and album). But I did not find a way to find only "progressive" music or whatever. In the search bar I can only find find artists, albums or song titles. But for a genre I always have to scroll for a genre. This is kind of a little annoying, because some artists are tagged as "progressive", but others as "progressive rock" and so on. So if I want to stick to one music genre, I have to look through a lot of genre tags.

Any ideas what I can do? :)

Thanks a lot in advance.
anonbeat

Genre Search

Post by anonbeat »

When you are at the genre selector window you can just type the letters 'p' 'r' 'o' 'g' and it will find the name starting with that leeters. You must type the letters quite fast but allow you to even type the whole name.

Thanks
Malte

Genre Search

Post by Malte »

Hey anonbeat,

that is clear for me. But as I mentioned, there is for the same music genre sometimes more than one tag. So I have to look them through all.

Which would be perfect for me would be something like "genre:progressive" for the search bar. Because then it would show me all the songs and albums, which are tagged with "progressive rock", "progressive", "progressive metal", "progressive-rock" or whatever. or just "genre:rock" would show me "alternative rock", "ambient rock" and everything, but not hip hop. That would simplify the way to look for a music to listen to quite a lot for me. Caus often I do not look for a concrete musician, but for a genre to listen to.

Alternatively to this, I would pe pleased as well, if also the genres are considered in the search bar, because a band name equals seldomely a genre name. So I would always find the band I'm looking for, but also quite easy all the titles from an "over-genre". Perhaps everyone could decide on what to look through with the search bar? (song titles? check!, musicians? check!, album? no!, genre? check! and so on)

Just an idea, which would suit for me really well and which is implemented in a lot of other music players :)

Cheers, Malte.
tamalet

Genre Search

Post by tamalet »

From the screenshots of the version in development that anonbeat showed, I think that your wish will come true. In the new version each collection will have a filter. If filters are like the current filters, you will be able to restrict your view with any criteria like "genres contains progressive".

Your second paragraph reminds me of another suggestion: a hierarchy of labels. You can now do it manually: create a tag progressive (or choose another name if it already exists) and tag all the songs you want to gather like "progressive rock", "progressive metal", etc. Then choosing that new label will select all the songs you want. The downside of course is that it requires more tagging.