Problem Importing files without extensions

General discussions
bleak

Post by bleak »

I had issue where Banshee would not play my mp3 or mp4 files when other players (vlc and rhythmbox) would and decided to try Guayadeque but Guayadeque would also not play my mp3 or mp4 files. After much head scratching it appears the issue is the file extensions. Most of the files in my collection (4000+) do not have file extensions. When I add the ext, Guayadeque immediately recognizes and plays the file whereas Rhythmbox, ex. does not appear to require the ext. Is there something I can configure in Guayadeque that would allow the files to be recognized without the ext?
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

im begging to know, not that it matters, but what reason do they not have extensions? i've never heard of it is all, so im curious, as i know alot of image files and the like that dont have extensions either.
-Craig
bleak

Post by bleak »

I think extensions are optional for linux since linux/unix uses the data in the file to determine filetype but apparently some apps use them as a way to identify files quickly. I always thought of dependence on file extensions as a windows/dos thing.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

As you said its a way to quickly know what file type it is. Guayadeque dont use heavy algorythms to try to find the filetype. Intead of this it uses the extension to find the type of tile.
I think the file extension in media files is common this days and this is why I made that decision in order to speed up the file scanning.

I dont think it harms much to have 4 more bytes for every file name and saves a lot of work.

Thanks for your help