A new start into Linux and Guayadeque

General discussions
KPJ

Post by KPJ »

Thanks Camaron - it works. I did not have the flac encoder loaded in my system so I found an encoder in the Ubuntu repos. The encoder shows "uncompressed" - should I load another encoder?

Thanks again for your help.
camaron

Post by camaron »

KPJ wrote:Thanks Camaron - it works. I did not have the flac encoder loaded in my system so I found an encoder in the Ubuntu repos. The encoder shows "uncompressed" - should I load another encoder?

Thanks again for your help.
It is true that it says "uncompressed" but this is a mistake. Flac files are in fact compressed files only that it is a Lossless way of compression: it compresses without any loss of sound quality over the original. Typically it will give you 30% to 50% of the original/uncompressed file size (wav). That is why it is the preferred way to rip music if sound quality is your main concern (as it is mine). As you probably know there are other compression formats that create much smaller files (mp3, ogg,..) but these are lossy: sound quality is lost.

To convert between formats you can install SoundConverter from the Repositories (you may know the program already). It is a very simple/effective little application which give you many other options of formats.

Feel free to keep asking in these forums any other issues you may encounter.

PD: you may want to have a look at this Wikipedia article on Audio file formats: it is all a bit complicated but anyway....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_file_format
KPJ

Post by KPJ »

Camaron,

I appreciate the read from wiki - good stuff. I am now wrestling with my network - I thought I was storing files to the NAS but that is not the case.

Thanks again for your help with Guayadeque, I have been enjoying the great music and easy file imports.
KPJ

Post by KPJ »

My struggle continues. I can see my NAS. All workgroup settings are the same. I can write/read/delete to the NAS from my Ubuntu machine. I can not add the network location to my library under preferences? I can look and scan all my local drives but I cannot see the network drive.
camaron

Post by camaron »

KPJ wrote:My struggle continues. I can see my NAS. All workgroup settings are the same. I can write/read/delete to the NAS from my Ubuntu machine. I can not add the network location to my library under preferences? I can look and scan all my local drives but I cannot see the network drive.
So you've tried Preferences>Library>Paths and then press + ? Then you should be able to navigate to your NAS location.

Now, if you've done this already and the problem is that you can't see the location from Guayadeque then I don't really Know. That is definitely a question for Anonbeat.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

You directly don't see mounted places on the "Select library path" window, it's a GNOME problem.
But can press Ctrl+H to see the hidden directories and go into .gvfs. There you should see your mounted places.
camaron

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote:You directly don't see mounted places on the "Select library path" window, it's a GNOME problem.
But can press Ctrl+H to see the hidden directories and go into .gvfs. There you should see your mounted places.
I did't know that, good to know now :)
KPJ

Post by KPJ »

Another user suggested that I try grsync to help with conflicts and sync all my networked drives - I will try this shortly. I will also try the route from tamalet above.
Thanks
KPJ

Post by KPJ »

Thanks Tamalet - your suggestion worked. I just had to ensure the network drives were mounted before they would show in the directory you gave (this is a good lesson for this new user). Now I need to find out why Audex can create directories on the NAS but not able to rip to it...
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

Yes, you need to mount it to show there. Also if you have remote libraries do not enable "Update library on application start" on guayadeque because if you forgot to mount the partition, guayadeque will not find the directory and will wipe the library, forcing you to rescan it.