A new start into Linux and Guayadeque

General discussions
KPJ

Post by KPJ »

As the title suggests, I am new to Linux/Ubuntu and I have been looking for a music manager which is close to MMonkey which I used on Windows. I have enjoyed my time on Ubuntu and learning your software but I am not very far on the learning curve. I am using Audex to rip CDs but when I scan the files the artist/album cover/tracks do not properly import into Guayadeque so that I have to manually add the information. Any suggestion is appreciated. I also imported a Classical radio station under the radio tab but then I can not find it under that tab to play?? I like what I see but unfortunately do not know enough to be self-sufficient at this time. Thanks for your time.
camaron

Post by camaron »

Welcome KPJ
If you are more used to windows you may want to know that EAC (for ripping) works perfectly well ander Linux. You need to install Wine first (Wine is a program that lets you install some windows apps in linux) Install it from your software center. When you've done this download EAC exe file, right-click on it and choose install with Wine. Then install as you would in Windows. I use muyself it and it tags files OK.

How did you try to import the radio station? Give me the address of the station and I'll have a look at it.
KPJ

Post by KPJ »

Thanks Camaron.

Here is the URL:
http://audio-ogg.ibiblio.org:8000/wcpe.ogg.m3u

I have been enjoying the learning process with the linux software and would like to use a linux ripper unless the EAC module above is that good? Your thoughts.
KPJ

Post by KPJ »

Camaron,

I tried to use any URL and they would not work. I closed the App and then re-opened, now all URLs are there including the one I pasted located under User defined.

Can you assist on how to easily import files correctly into Guayadeque?
camaron

Post by camaron »

KPJ wrote:Camaron,

I tried to use any URL and they would not work. I closed the App and then re-opened, now all URLs are there including the one I pasted located under User defined.

Can you assist on how to easily import files correctly into Guayadeque?
Ok, I've gone to this site: http://audio-ogg.ibiblio.org:8000/status.xsl which I think is where youo are.
What you do is:
-right-click on the links (streams URLs) and choose copy link.
-In guayadeque open the radio stations tab and and right-click on User Defined>Add Radio. In the window you get paste the url and give the station a name. Click OK
This has worked for me and It should work for me. Tell me how it goes.
camaron

Post by camaron »

KPJ wrote:I have been enjoying the learning process with the linux software and would like to use a linux ripper unless the EAC module above is that good? Your thoughts.
EAC has the reputation to be the best ripper on any platform but it is a Windows app. It is indeed a very good piece of software.
I don't really want to encourage you to use windows apps. but rippers is not something Linux has plenty of (good ones I mean). I've not actually used Audex myself (never heard of it) by here are a few others you want to have a look at (all of them you can find through synaptic or the software center):
Sound Juicer
CD Player
Asunder
Ripper X
Ripoff

For what you see the problem is that Guayadeque doesn't recognize the tags. If not had this problem when I've tried them so not sure what to say there. But try some of these and see which ones you like work for you.

PD. I'm sure there are more if you look for them.

Another PD. I'm very Keen in classical music myself so if you find some really nice radio stream share the tip with me...:)
rotwang888

Post by rotwang888 »

camaron wrote:
KPJ wrote:I have been enjoying the learning process with the linux software and would like to use a linux ripper unless the EAC module above is that good? Your thoughts.
EAC has the reputation to be the best ripper on any platform but it is a Windows app. It is indeed a very good piece of software.
I don't really want to encourage you to use windows apps. but rippers is not something Linux has plenty of (good ones I mean).
There is a good secure cd ripper for Linux: Rubyripper. I'm not sure if it's in the Ubuntu repos, but the project page is at http://code.google.com/p/rubyripper/
camaron

Post by camaron »

rotwang888 wrote:
camaron wrote:
I don't really want to encourage you to use windows apps. but rippers is not something Linux has plenty of (good ones I mean).
There is a good secure cd ripper for Linux: Rubyripper. I'm not sure if it's in the Ubuntu repos, but the project page is at http://code.google.com/p/rubyripper/
You are right,
If I remember OK there was some bug/incompatibly that prevented it to install in Lucid (it was the one I used before). I have to try again in Maverick. Thanks for the reminder.
camaron

Post by camaron »

@KPJ

So I've actually installed Audex, ripped a cd with it and took it into my music directory. Thanks for the tip, I may just keep using it!! It is a KDE app. so I suppose thatss why i didn't know it.
Guayadeque recognizes the tags Audex has used. You will be missing the tag Composer if it is a classical album but this is not Guayadeques fault, it is the world's fault that doesn't care much about this music :). Audex actually manages to find the cover and puts it in the folder. The reason why guayadeque doesn't pick it is because Audex uses the artist name to name the cover. Guayadeque will look for covers called cover, front or other things you tell it in Preferences. That could be a nice thing for Guayadeque to do: if it doesn't find a file called cover.jpeg, front.jpeg it could then select the first jpg file it finds but it doesn't do this. Try requesting this to Anonbeat (the developer).
KPJ

Post by KPJ »

Camaron,

Please copy the following link. This station just plays classical music without any political commentary. Just great music (at least in my way of thinking)

http://audio-ogg.ibiblio.org:8000/wcpe.ogg.m3u