Guayadeque wont start

General discussions
spiftire

Guayadeque wont start

Post by spiftire »

I have had problems starting guayadeque after building it from SVN revison 1640. It ends up with this error...

(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/steffen/guayadeque/guayadeque
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
17:44:56: Error showing window
17:44:56: Another program instance is already running, aborting.

Program exited with code 0377.
(gdb) bt
No stack.
(gdb)
anonbeat

Guayadeque wont start

Post by anonbeat »

If you dont have another guayadeque running delete the ~/.guayadeque/.guayadeque-youruser file
spiftire

Guayadeque wont start

Post by spiftire »

Thanks.
I ended up reintalling and rebooting. That worked aswell
HerbTokin

Guayadeque wont start

Post by HerbTokin »

Thanks anonbeat! that worked for me.

no need to reinstall or reboot
bulletmark

Guayadeque wont start

Post by bulletmark »

I had this problem today. Deleted my ~/.guayadeque/.guayadeque-youruser file and then all ok. Before doing that I checked and found the pid listed in that file did not exist so it seems to me that guayadeque is not doing that check itself, or at least not doing it correctly? I am on ubuntu 12.04 using version 0.3.5~ds0-1.

BTW, rather than a pidfile, I think a better way to ensure only one running instance is to use lockf(fd, F_TLOCK, 0), i.e. just get an exclusive lock on the file. Let the OS do the check.
anonbeat

Guayadeque wont start

Post by anonbeat »

thinking about portability Im using a class from wxWidget that provides this functionality. As you may know wxWidget have some bugs and even more with recently tecnologies like gnome shell. Im quite sure this is an issue from them
bulletmark

Guayadeque wont start

Post by bulletmark »

I am using gnome shell (current 3.4.1 on ubuntu 12.04) so that may be relevant. I use guayadeque all day every day though and have not seen any other problem except for this one, once-off.

I do notice on ubuntu 12.04 that if I shut my system down while guayadeque is running (but not even necessarily playing) then the shutdown will hang for a while before it seems guayadeque gets force-ably killed off. This happens in both Unity and gnome shell. I.e. guayadeque is not handling shutdown on ubuntu. I always have to remember to close it manually before I shut my system down.

Sorry for the slow reply here - shame I can't email subscribe like most other forums.
anonbeat

Guayadeque wont start

Post by anonbeat »

try to use guayadeque-svn from my ppa. The shutdown bug have been fixed there very recently.
Subscriptions should work and you will get an email with new posts to threads where you posted. You must configure it from your settings. I noticed that sometimes get days to receive emails but dont know why
bulletmark

Guayadeque wont start

Post by bulletmark »

I recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 on new hardware and am now running the packaged guayadeque 0.4.5~ds0-4. I am surprised to see this bug still exists? I.e. my guayadeque won't start with a "already running" error yet the pid listed in the ~/.guayadeque/.guayadeque-user file does not exist. Seriously anonbeat, why not change this to a one liner lockf() as I suggested above? The OS will ensure that always works, the app does not need to deal with it.
anonbeat

Guayadeque wont start

Post by anonbeat »

What version is 0.4.5 ? can be 0.3.5 instead ?

Im using wxSingleInstanceChecker class. I guess it is them who must change what you mention. Anyway the bug you mention doesn't happen to me and for me the program starts fine when the pid listed in the file is not correct. It says it deleted the stalled file.

10:28:23: Deleted stale lock file '/home/jrios/.guayadeque/.guayadeque-jrios'.