New tree view

General discussions
tamalet

New tree view

Post by tamalet »

I had a look at the new tree view and I really like, it's a great addition. Many people are used to this kind of view.
In particular I find it very useful to discover errors in tags. For example, filter by year and you will easily spot wrong years like 199 or 20011.

I haven't tested much yet but I already noticed a problem with the refresh of the tree. For instance I changed Artist to Album Artist in the default filter, but the change was not applied until I created a new filter, changed the filter and changed back to the default one.
Similarly, I corrected a year and it still appeared on the tree, but it didn't show any track in that branch.

Some suggestions:
.(An option to) show a small cover next to the albums (like in the album list, or as in Clementine).

.A filter that allows you to browse your library by directory: http://sourceforge.net/apps/ideatorrent ... nt/idea/9/
This filter could be called Folder Structure and probably it should not be allowed to be mixed with other filters. The idea is that as branches of Library you have each of the paths of the library and when you expand them you get all of its subfolders.

.As I said I find this view very useful for tagging. I like the way it is done in MediaMonkey. There the tracks with an empty tags your are filtering by are clearly grouped in a branch called in bold that is showed as the first branch.
I would love to have filters like Has Embedded Cover, Has Lyrics, Has Comment, etc.

Great work!
tamalet

New tree view

Post by tamalet »

Update: I know that the idea of the Folder Structure is basically the Files view, but the main difference is that in the File view you see the information about the actual files instead of their tags.
Maybe a better idea is to have another switch on the Files view to show the attributes of the files or the tags as in the library (and show only the music files).
finndo77

New tree view

Post by finndo77 »

I like, good idea. I also enjoy using media monkey, I've had it for quite a long time, maybe 7 years or so
rawdlite

New tree view

Post by rawdlite »

I like the tree view a lot.

Some annotations and remarks.
1. Filter
The term Filter is used in different places, often with a diferent meaning.
Here it actually is the Sort Order. You might consider renaming it for better consistency.

2. Filter (the real one)
I would like to have a real Filter, like in Browse View.
It would be great to be able to sort by Composer but only show classical Music.

3. Labels
Can we have Labels as Sort Option (Filter) please.

4. Partial Update
I use the Tree View to check my tagging. It is rather cumbersome to rescan the library when a tag was changed. Changes shoul be reflected by the tree view instantly. (ok this is not a tree view issue i guess)
rotwang888

New tree view

Post by rotwang888 »

This is very cool. I hadn't noticed it until this thread. :/ It would be nice to be able to use "exclude" criteria for custom filters, though. And yup, this is a very handy way to spot bad tags. I used a similar panel in Foobar2k often. I just noticed a podcast tagged with the genre "Comendy". :[