Problem with cover art update feature

General discussions
Markus

Post by Markus »

I have tried Guayadeque (on Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit), and overall I liked it a lot. I recently had a problem with the cover art update feature, however. I have all my album art embedded in the .mp3 files, but I wasn't seeing most of them in the album browser, so I thought I should 'update'. This turned out to be a big mistake -- it downloaded hundreds of .jpg files, which I did not want to happen. I have music separated by artist but not album, so the .jpg will be wrong more often than it is right, plus I have some utilities that baulk at having non-audio files mixed with the audio. I therefore deleted all the .jpg files, but every time I re-start Guayadeque, it starts to download and save them all over again, even though I'm not clicking on the 'update covers' button. I looked in 'Preferences', but can't find any command or setting to disable this, other than turning off 'update library on startup'. I don't want to do that, because then new music will not be added to the library at all. Is there a way to just get it to use the embedded album art, and not download art or save it to folders? Most other music players have options to allow this, but I'm not finding them in Guayadeque. Any help would be appreciated.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Disable 'Scan embedded covers in audio files' option. When that option is enabled it will extract the embedded cover art of a file from that folder to the folder so it can bring that file to for example the notify OSD or scripts via dbus.
Guayadeque by design wants the library organized by albums. One album for each folder.

Thanks for your help
Markus

Post by Markus »

I understand now. Thanks for the help. I misunderstood what the term 'scan' meant in this option -- to me, 'scan' usually means taking an image in, as opposed to writing it out to a file, so I misunderstood the option. It would be a little better, in my opinion, if the user could choose where to store the images, in my opinion. You could give the option to store them all in one special folder, or in each album directory. I know I'm in a minority, but I don't want to separate each album into a different folder -- I have hundreds of tracks which are the only track from an album, so I'd end up with hundreds of folders each containing one file. Not to mention the problem of mixing .jpg images in the same folder with .mp3s, which some of my utilities don't like. Anyway, the player works great now, so even if you don't offer an option of storing all images in a separate folder, I won't complain. It is one of the best players around for linux. Thanks again for your help.