SVN 0.3.0-1533 crashes

General discussions
bjstirling

SVN 0.3.0-1533 crashes

Post by bjstirling »

Ooops, missed something else I did. I unchecked all the lyrics sites in preferences (trying to stop guayadeque from going to the internet). I just re-enabled the sites and the program crashes again so it appears related to Last.fm AND the lyrics search. That's too bad because the lyrics search is one feature I enjoyed and strangely I recall it working under 0.2.7. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, at least now I can get guayadeque working!
anonbeat

SVN 0.3.0-1533 crashes

Post by anonbeat »

Its a problem with libcurl and libwins that have nothing to do with guayadeque itself. Other software that uses libcurl will have the same issue. The best solution is to remove the libwins till the issue is fixed

Thanks for your help
finndo77

SVN 0.3.0-1533 crashes

Post by finndo77 »

just a note for you BJ,
I know this is a bit old of a post, but I am also using ubuntu 10.10 and have the same version of libcurl installed; however I do NOT have libwins installed, and do not have any of the issues you have mentioned. I have used each of the version you have mentioned as well, the big issue with running linux that people really like, but do not understand, is that all the supporting files for programs can be updated at any time, this can cause a program you are using to not function, because it expects a specific version of the library to be available for it's needs.

Linux heralds often champion linux's ability to update library's as needed, independent of an program version, but those who do not understand what this really means, suffer when these updates break another program. such is the flaw of using packages and dependencies; however normally this issue is avoidable by the programmer writing their code to accept any version of a particular library and not set specific version requirements; although this means they must live with what ever changes may come from future updates and be willing to update their own code if something breaks when a library is updated.