mp3 tags change

General discussions
nitm

mp3 tags change

Post by nitm »

Hi.

First let me say that I've just recently moved from windows to ubuntu and have been looking for a good music player ever since.
This new player of yours is by far the best I've used so far.

My problem is that once I add music to my library its' tag info seems to be cached.
I use EasyTag to edit the tag info and the updated info isn't not shown in the player, not even after I update or rescan the library.

Any ideas what can I do to update the changes?
Thanks.
anonbeat

mp3 tags change

Post by anonbeat »

If you change the tags from easytag, guayadeque have no idea that they changed so you need to do a Library Update so they are updated.
You are doing it right
nitm

mp3 tags change

Post by nitm »

Hey,

I did try to "update the library" and also to "rescan the library" and the tags did not update.

let me explain the system i work with, maybe it effects this behavior:
I have one (ubuntu) machine which is working as a "media server" and stores all of the music files, the files are shared using samba.
I'm using the guayadeque player from another (ubuntu) machine which has a mount point to the shared music library on the "media server".

When I update the tags of the mp3 files I do it on the "media" machine and I expect to see the changes in the other one.

Thanks for the help!
tamalet

mp3 tags change

Post by tamalet »

In principle there should be no problem with the way you access your music, I do the same when I'm at work.

There is a problem editing the tags of the remote library using guayadeque, sometimes it crashes, but that's another story.

I found that there are some mp3s that have more than one id3 frame and that different program may use different frames. For instance when I scanned my library with MediaMonkey there were many genres that I didn't have in Guayadeque. The same happened when I moved them to my PMP.

There is a good program to fix these and other problems in mp3s. It's called MP3 diags and it's available from Ubuntu's repository and there are also versions for Windows and Mac. It is not very intuitive to use at the beginning, but there is some good documentation.

I'd suggest that you first make sure that your mp3s don't have this problem.
nitm

mp3 tags change

Post by nitm »

thanks for the reference.
this program seems too complex, and to be honest all of the warnings the author wrote in the documentation kind of killed any motivation I had for using it.

as for my problem, when I now open the player it seems like the tags have been updated.
I'm not sure what caused the change to be updated, maybe a restart of the computer, maybe a change in the file system followed by a "Rescan Library".

if and when this issue arises again I'll try to analyze the problem better and post the results.
thanks again for the help.