moving music folder to another HD

General discussions
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

I'm running out of space on my home partition and want to move my Music folder to another drive.
Should I delete the guayadeque.db file, then rescan the new location or is there any need to remove .db first?

What info, if any, will I lose by doing this?
camaron

Post by camaron »

Obviously you will have to change your library location in preferences. I don't think you have to manually remove the old database but to do so won't harm and will take about 5 seconds
camaron

Post by camaron »

Information lost: labels, playcount, stars, last played, added date. If you have more than one album in a folder and covers are not embbeded you will lose the covers for all but one album for each folder
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

If you use the Rename functionality of the file browser to move the files you can keep all statistics (playcount, rating, added date, etc)
camaron

Post by camaron »

anonbeat wrote:If you use the Rename functionality of the file browser to move the files you can keep all statistics (playcount, rating, added date, etc)
Could you explain that a bit more anonbeat? How you do that?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

The steps to do it should be.

Create the new destination folder if already was not created.
Add that new location to the library locations so the tracks are not removed
Select the folders you are going to move (maybe try first with something not so big to check is a good option ) in the right pane and select 'Rename Files'
A dialog bog will ask what pattern to use to rename the files. You can use for example
/new/location/folder/{g}/{A}/{b}/{f}
And the dialog will preview when u click in the check button the result. If you agree whith the new filename then you can accept
All files will be moved to the new location and the database will only update the new location without change anything else.
Hope the explanation is clear

Thanks for your help
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

In the Files tab, select the folder you want to move, choose Rename files and change the directory to the new location.
camaron

Post by camaron »

This is really good: I'd no clue about this and is something i'll be using myself soon. Thanks!!
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

tamalet wrote:In the Files tab, select the folder you want to move, choose Rename files and change the directory to the new location.
So I could do the entire music folder in one go like this? I imagine 40GB will take some time to rename ;)
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

Yes, you can do it at once. You have to move it any way, so you better do it from within Guayadeque.