How do I make the menu bar appear?

General discussions
josephzitt

Post by josephzitt »

I just installed Guayadeque on my Ubuntu box via Synaptic. I see from the documentation that i configure it from a menu, and see from the provided screenshots that it is suppoed to appear, as with other programs, at the top of the window. It does not. This is obviously needed if I'm to be able to do anything at all with the program.

What could be keeping the menu bar from appearing? I haven't seen this happen with any other program. How do I make it appear?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

tamalet

Post by tamalet »

As anonbeat point out, this has been discussed before.

First try executing on a terminal export UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0 and then run Guayadeque from that same terminal: guayadeque.
If the problem is solved, then add the export to your .profile file in your home directory.

Otherwise try removing the appmenu-gtk package: sudo apt-get remove appmenu-gtk
josephzitt

Post by josephzitt »

OK, executing the export command then running Guayadeque from the command line brought up the menu.

I added the export command to .profile then ran Guayadeque from the Gnome menu, and the menu did not appear.

I logged out and in again and tried it from the Gnome menu, but the Guayadeque menu did not appear.

I tried it again from the command line, and the menu did not appear.

I did the export command from the command line and ran Guayadeque from the terminal, and the menu did appear.

So it appears that adding the command line to my .profile did not have any effect.

I'm leery of removing the appmenu-gtk, since I worry whether that will mess up other programs. From what i can understand from looking around the web, it is used by Unity, and I use Unity on this netbook when it is not hooked up to an external monitor.

Any advice as to a next step, either to get the line in the .profile working or to be sure that I won't mess up anything by removing appmenu-gtk?

Here is my .profile as it now stands. (I would have attached, but, for some reason, Chrome won't let me.):

# ~/.profile: executed by the command interpreter for login shells.
# This file is not read by bash(1), if ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login
# exists.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
# the files are located in the bash-doc package.

# the default umask is set in /etc/profile; for setting the umask
# for ssh logins, install and configure the libpam-umask package.
#umask 022

# if running bash
if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ]; then
# include .bashrc if it exists
if [ -f "$HOME/.bashrc" ]; then
. "$HOME/.bashrc"
fi
fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"

fi