Help with extended characters in tags

General discussions
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

This does not seem to be a guayadeque problem (I'm almost sure it's not in fact) but I hope you won't mind me asking for some advice related to tagging and extended characters.

Currently when I add an album from CD to my collection I
1. rip it with abcde
2. use id3v2 inside a personalised script to tag the tracks with the artist and song names
3. import into guayadeque

If the song titles contain accents such as é à ç then during ripping I see the accents correctly. I also see them correctly in the terminal output from id3v2 as it tags them but when I look at them in guayadeque the accents are all messed up. I've seen the same thing happen in Amarok before so this is why I think g-que is not at fault. Still, I can't understand at what stage the character encoding is going wrong. Maybe abcde or id3v2 or both don't support unicode and g-que does, but if that were the case, g-que should still display ISO-8859-I characters correctly, so I'm a bit confused.
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

Does anyone else use abcde to rip CDs or id3v2 to tag them?
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

I use id3 v2.3 or v2.4 and I use accents a lot without any problems.
On EasyTAG you can specify the id3 tag version on the preferences. Then when you read an album it will convert the tags to that version if it is different.
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

Thanks. I'll test with abcde and EasyTag to try confirm if the problem is with the command line id3v2 or abcde.
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

It would seem to abcde that screws up the encoding.
When I open a ripped MP3 with it, I get e.g. title as: "Tchaïkovski / Le lac des cygnes"
Might have to change ripping software so.
rotwang888

Post by rotwang888 »

Try ripping with rubyripper. I've used it to rip many classical cds with umlauts, etc in the tags and haven't had any problems with them displaying properly in guayadeque.
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

OK, I'll give that a shot, thanks. RipperX gave me the same errors yesterday.
Is RubyRipper usable from the command line?
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

Why don't you rip with anything you like without adding any tag information and you add it later with a program that works fine with Guayadeque?
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

I did try with EasyTag but abcde had already messed up the tags and filenames by then.
I'm having lots of trouble getting rubyripper working but it sounds as though it should avoid this issue once I get it running. I like to have a completely CLI based solution as I can run everything with one script - ripping, tagging, renaming and moving