Library: sequence of tags not changed while layout is change

General discussions
fanky

Post by fanky »

Hi,
first: great program. i am just thinking about going to linux and this prog is a reason for it!

The only thing i have a problem with, is the behaviour of the library filters.
They are always in the same sequence (like in the menu). Changing the Layout (e.g. moving Composer to the first position) will not change the way the library gives a selected filter to the next one.
It looks like there is a fixed sequence of the tags in the background, which is not changed while changing the layout.
I would like to filter my library in the way the layout is, from left to right.
Maybe this is possible? Or am i doing something wrong or am i too stupid........

Thanks a lot

Fanky
camaron

Post by camaron »

fanky wrote:Hi,
first: great program. i am just thinking about going to linux and this prog is a reason for it!

The only thing i have a problem with, is the behaviour of the library filters.
They are always in the same sequence (like in the menu). Changing the Layout (e.g. moving Composer to the first position) will not change the way the library gives a selected filter to the next one.
It looks like there is a fixed sequence of the tags in the background, which is not changed while changing the layout.
I would like to filter my library in the way the layout is, from left to right.
Maybe this is possible? Or am i doing something wrong or am i too stupid........

Thanks a lot

Fanky
You are absolutely right in my opinion. This behavior is something I've wished since I started using Guayadeque.

And anyway, if you decide to make the switch welcome to Linux/Guayadeque
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

This has been asked before, especially by people that listen to classical music.
In principle it makes sense but when you go to the details it's not so easy.
You can move the list filters almost anywhere within the library tab, they can be one on top of each other, next to the tracks list, under it, etc.
Then you have to think of the positions not as a line but as a matrix that you traverse one row at the time from left to right starting from the top.

And there may be technical difficulties too. I don't know how sqlite works but usually for these filters to be quick you have to create indexes. Creating an index takes times and it's something that you probably don't want to happen each time you move a filter around. Of course creating all the possible indexes in advance would be an overkill and would have consequences on other operations since each time you modify the database the indexes are updated.

Another solution would be to have a preference section where you can specify the order of the filters.
camaron

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote:Another solution would be to have a preference section where you can specify the order of the filters.

That would be ideal, at least for what i believe is the most problematic: artist>album or album>artist
fanky

Post by fanky »

Other players can do it very fast, too: foobar on windows, gbemol on linux, gmpc, etc.
How?
I would like to change the filters without going to some preferences tab and reindex all data.....