Recordings distorted and slow
  • Dear Community,
    Was fascinated with this music player.
    Linux Ubuntu 10.11 here
    Normal mp3 files ok.
    But after internet radio recording, the result is awfully bad. Sound is distorted and the playback of mp3 is slow like a funeral procession orchestra

Any ideas,

P.S: Any other recordings like Rhymbox, or VLC work ok.

Thank you from
    jackson
  • can you tell me what version are you using please ? and what settings do you have configured ?

Thanks for your help
  • version here is 0.3.1.1639
    Ubuntu 11,10
    Processor Phenom II x6 1090
    Graphics NVIDia

Actually playing any music with Guaydeque is perfectly OK. Only when recording and playback
    with any gadget i.e Guadeque, Banshee, VCL the recording (having set it to mp3 highquality in
    Guadeque) is played back slow and distorted. (as if a LP record runs at a wrong speed)

Thank you from

jackson
  • It would be nice if you can install the latest svn version and see if the bug is still there.
    http://guayadeque.org/forums/index.php?p=/page/installing#InstallSVN
  • Thank you tamalet, I will work on it

jackson
  • jackson21 said:

version here is 0.3.1.1639
    Ubuntu 11,10
    Processor Phenom II x6 1090
    Graphics NVIDia

Actually playing any music with Guaydeque is perfectly OK. Only when recording and playback
    with any gadget i.e Guadeque, Banshee, VCL the recording (having set it to mp3 highquality in
    Guadeque) is played back slow and distorted. (as if a LP record runs at a wrong speed)

Thank you from

jackson

Can you tell me the radiostation you are recording because I cant reproduce the problem here. I can listen perfectly the recorded tracks.

Thanks for your help
  • To anonbeat,
    Any radiostation recorded in mp3 provides the messy results.
    Tried the gstreamer-plugins but not siccessful

jackson
  • To anonbeat,
    Have partly solved the problem,
    When recording as ogg , there are no hitches when I play back.
    Then I can easily convert the recordings with "soundconverter" . It works beautifully.

Anyway I'll stick to Guayadeque , because I like the layout. Everything is so modern and the look is appalling.

Greetings from Austria

jackson
  • Same problem here on Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10. Under 11.04 I could solve the problem with de-installing gstreamer-plugins-ugly and installing gstreamer-plugins-ugly-multiverse, but this does not work under Ubuntu 11.10. The package would destroy other gstreamer packages.
    Recording as ogg works, but I would prefer mp3.

olsen
  • I will try now record in ubuntu 11.10 to mp3 format.

This issue should be fixed in svn revision 1747 1749

Thanks for your bug report
  • I am sorry, but the problem is still in svn 1755.

Olsen
  • There is a bug in gstreamer that appeared in latests gstreamer versions. I will try to get it fixed asap

Thank you very much for your help
  • I just email the gstreamer development list asking for help on this issue as its something I dont understand. Gstreamer is behaving different on latest ubuntu than older versions. I guess its a bug but Im not quite sure.

Thanks for your help
    I will post here any result
  • Was recording Slow radio on my laptop this morning with perfect results, Linux Mint Lisa - switched off then came back and restarted recording 20 minutes later - resulting mp3 files twice the size and distorted. Now recording Soft Classic Rock with perfect results on my desktop Ubuntu Lucid LTS - but laptop still results in distorted mp3s. Will continue to monitor.
  • As you said in earlier posts - just affects latest Ubuntu releases. Sticking with Lucid for recording. Congratulations on a great music player/manager.
  • Finally lookslike this bug was fixed in gstreamer so now the recordings should work fine again. Can anyone report it?

Thanks

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=679950#c8
  • I'm using Zorin 6 and my recordings are slow and distorted as well.
  • Its a gstreamer bug. Look for gstreamer updates as it was fixed already.
  • I am afraid, it doesn't work even with the gstreamer updates. I tested it with Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 development branch and the recordings are as slow and distorted as they were.
  • I used to have the same problem but I accidently found out that if I first push the record-button and after that choose my preferred station and push the play-button, i get excellent mp3-recordings from all tracks. If i first push the play-button and after that the record-button, it's the same problem again.
    I hope this will help a lot of you listeners and help anonbeat to fix this superb program.
  • Thanks for the comment. Sure will help others but the problem is that there is nothing I can fix as its a gstreamer bug.
  • Having the same problem on 12.04.1 64bit.

Recording works but the mp3 file is 2 times larger then expected and playing the file is like a slow record.

Using streamripper on the command line works perfect.
  • Fun... Just tried yoepie's workaround and jep looks like it works for me too!!

So isn't it more a problem of the GUI then??
  • I don't think it's only a GUI problem. Sometimes I've noticed it starts recording just fine, but after few songs, files gets larger and recording is messed up again.
  • Its a gstreamer bug. I tried to do a workaround but there is no way I can fix it. The gstreamer dev team need to fix it.
  • Could you point us to that bug so we can vote for it or at least see when it will be fixed?
  • Or is there any way for you to use streamripper? I never had any problems with it.
  • Thanks anonbeat. It's great program and I'm already presenting it to my coworkers who sometimes need to record something from radio news :D
  • RobertHr: you can configure streamripper as a external command and launch it for any radiostation. See this http://guayadeque.org/forums/index.php?p=/page/pref_commands
  • Just what I need! Thanks :)
  • Can anyone check this with latest svn version 1893 please ?

Thanks for your help
  • 1893 working here at 14.04 wery good recordings

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion